We try to have regularly scheduled charity sewing days and aim for every other month on the Saturday following our monthly meeting.
Sewing for children
During 2017, we focused on making quilts to contribute to NALES for children who have lost a parent in law enforcement. See photos of September donations to NALES. We will focus on this during 2018 as well.
A few members are also creating adoptee quilt blocks to welcome children recently adopted through Carolina Adoption Services located in Greensboro. Children from all over the world are adopted by families in the U.S. See adoptee quilt photos.
Sewing for adults
During fall of 2017, we worked with the memory care unit of Twin Lakes to sew clothing protectors from fabric and a pattern donated by a resident’s family member. Several guild members also created fidget mats for memory care patients. A dozen clothing protectors and five fidget mats were delivered for use by residents. See photos of Twin Lakes donations.
Lap quilts made by guild members were donated in December 2017 to Davis Street Methodist Church in appreciation for their allowing us to use their facilities for our meetings and sew days.
Group members sewed adult bibs that were donated to Brookdale Clare Bridge Alzheimer/Dementa Care Unit at the end of 2016.
Members of our group save their fabric scraps and use them to stuff pillows for cats awaiting adoption. They are donated on a regular basis to Sparkle Cat Rescue.
Ideas for charity sewing projects
The list below includes already established charities, ideas for projects, and instructions.
- Ideas from Nancy Ziemann of Sewing with Nancy
- Fidget mats for Alzheimer’s patients
- Sew to Give Projects
- Sew to Give-Sewing and Quilting Outreach Opportunities – scroll down below the suggestion form to see a LONG list of project ideas with links to sites and instructions
- Quilt to Give instructions and more about Quilt to Give – involves using a collaborative stash to create a quilt to give away
- Quilt for others – charity sewing bee description with photos and video of presentation of quilts for Joplin, Missouri tornado vicitims
- Fidget Mat tutorial – from Rob Appell with Man Sewing
- Project Linus – blankets for seriously ill children ages 0-18.
- Real Hope for Haiti – pillowcase dresses, diapers, nanny aprons, pillowcase shorts, hats, burial blankets/gowns
- 1,000,000 Pillowcase Challenge – patterns for making pillowcases
- Quilts of Valor – quilts for service members and veterans touched by war
- Quilts for Kids – patchwork quilts offering comfort to children in need